First signs of spring
As we start to head towards the spring equinox on 20 March, plants and animals are starting to wake up from their winter sleep. Fitzhead Events Group invites you to share your sightings of the first signs of spring in and around our village so that we can keep a wildlife diary this year through our instagram account @fitzheadevents. This could be a photo or any art or craft that your sightings inspire you or your family members to create.
There are two ways you can take part:
- if you have an instagram account, please post your picture with the hashtag #fitzheadfsos
- email your photo, artwork or wildlife spotting notes to events email@example.com and we will post for you.
The National Trust, the Wildlife Trusts and other conservation organisations have lots of useful resources on their websites, with advice on what to look for, when and where. Here are a few suggestions that we think you may see, hear or smell in Fitzhead in the next few months:
- tree buds, catkins and blossom
- Spring flowers – snowdrops, daffodils, bluebells and wild garlic
- the dawn chorus and signs of nest building
- call of the cuckoo
- drumming of woodpeckers
- frogspawn and toad spawn
- new born lambs
- bumble bees and butterflies – the yellow Brimstone is often the first to be seen
Seasonal spotter sheets (ideal for family walks) are available from the Wildlife Trust Wildlife Watch website.